Follistim AQ Cartridge and Pen
Read the Patient Information that comes with Follistim AQ Cartridge before you start using it and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking with your healthcare provider about your medical condition or treatment.
What is Follistim AQ Cartridge?
Follistim (follitropin beta) contains human follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) that is manufactured using recombinant DNA technology. Follistim AQ cartridge is a prefilled, premixed recombinant gonadotropin. Packaged in 300 IU (international units), 600 IU and 900 IU cartridges, the Follistim Pen allows the user to dial a specific dose in 25 IU increments from 50 IU to 450 IU per subcutaneous injection. It is indicated for the development of multiple follicles in ovulatory patients participating in an assisted reproductive technology (ART) program. It is also indicated for the induction of ovulation and pregnancy in anovulatory infertile patients in whom the cause of infertility is functional and not due to primary ovarian failure.
Follistim AQ Cartridge is used:
- to help healthy ovaries to develop (mature) and release eggs
- as part of treatment programs that use special techniques (skills) to help women get pregnant by causing their ovaries to produce more mature eggs
- to help bring about the production and development of sperm
- is allergic to recombinant human FSH products
- has a high level of FSH in your blood indicating that your ovaries (women only) or testes (men only) may be permanently damaged and do not work at all
- has uncontrolled thyroid, pituitary, or adrenalgl and problems
- is allergic to streptomycinorneomycin (typesofantibiotics)
- has a tumor of the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, breast, uterus(women only), ovary (women only), or testis (menonly)
Do not take Follistim AQ Cartridge if you are a Woman who:
- is pregnant or think you maybe pregnant
- has heavy or irregular vaginal bleeding and the cause is not known
- has ovarian cysts or enlarged ovaries, not due to polycystic ovary syndrome PCOS)
Talk to your healthcare provider before taking this medicine if you have any of the conditions listed above.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking Follistim AQ Cartridge?
Before you take Follistim AQ, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- have an increased risk of blood clots (thrombosis)
- have ever had a blood clot (thrombosis), or any one in your immediate family has ever had a blood clot (thrombosis)
- had stomach (abdominal) surgery
- had twisting of your ovary (ovariantorsion)
- had or have a cystin your ovary
- have polycystic ovary disease
- have any other medical conditions
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if the medicine in Follistim AQ Cartridge passes into your breast milk. You and your healthcare provider should decide if you will take Follistim AQ Cartridge or breastfeed.You should not do both.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them and show your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How should I use Follistim AQ Cartridge?
- Be sure that you read, understand, and follow the “Patient Instructions for Use” that come with Follistim AQ Cartridge.
- Use Follistim AQ Cartridge exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Your healthcare provider will tell you how much Follistim AQ Cartridge to use, how to inject it, and how often it should be injected.
- Do not inject Follistim AQ Cartridge at home until your healthcare provider has taught you the right way to put the cartridge and pen device together and to inject yourself.
- Do not mix any other medicines into the cartridge.
- Do not change your dose o fFollistim AQ Cartridge unless your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Call your healthcare provider immediately if you use too much Follistim AQ Cartridge.
- If you miss or forget to take a dose, do not double your next dose. Ask your healthcare provider for nstructions.
- Use Follistim AQ Cartridge only with the Follistim Pen.
- Do not use the Follistim Pen if you are blind or visually impaired unless you have assistance from an individual with good vision who is trained in the right way to use the pen.
- Do not re-use the BDMicro-Fine TM Pen Needle.
- Your healthcare provider will do blood and urine hormone tests while you are taking Follistim AQ Cartridge. Make sure you follow-up with your healthcare provider to have your blood and urine tested when told to do so.